Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Critical Analysis

My critical thinking skills were demonstrated best in the blog assignment, What‘s in your wallet? This assignment was to write a one-page profile about ourselves based solely on the contents of our wallet or purse that represent our life.

Our profile had to answer the following questions:

Taken separately or together, how do the contents of your wallet construct an image of your identity?

What assumptions might someone make about your personality, values, or identity based on what you carry in your wallet?

If all they had to go on is your wallet, what would people miss or be unable to know about you?

I showed my understanding of analysis in this assignment by analyzing the contents of my wallet and being descriptive of those items. Also, I showed my understanding of synthesis by stating my opinion of what others could assume about me based on what I carry in my wallet. The following is just one example of this:

“Others might assume that I am totally unorganized, messy, and even a packrat based on my wallets contents. They may also assume that I am family oriented, and very supportive and involved in the lives of my kids.”

I have grown as an analytical writer by learning to study, examine, and break down the reading or writing materials so that I can gain a better understanding of it before making a judgment. Instead of just supporting an idea or paper put before me as is, I now take the time to evaluate it’s relevance, importance, and effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment