Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My Choice

For my “Writers Choice” piece I chose the Unit Three Blog assignment, You Are What You Eat? We were asked to write about a common tradition in our family or culture that have food as the “central activity” or focus. I wrote about my families traditional Sunday meal because it is something that I grew up with and is therefore very important, as well as sentimental for me.

This writing brought up strong and meaningful memories of good times with family that are no longer with us. When I thought of the common tradition of Sunday dinner, it became clear that food was the common factor in bringing all of my family together once a week. The following will give you an idea of what I mean:

“This tradition was always held in my grandmothers home. Around two in the afternoon on Sundays, my aunts, uncles, and cousins would begin arriving, bringing with them their own special dishes or deserts.”

I was also reminded of why this family tradition started and why it is so important for it to continue. Here is an example of what I mean by this:

“This Sunday tradition started when my ancestors were slaves and Sundays were the only day they did not have to work and could spend time together as families, so they cooked lots of food and ate and spent time together because this was the only day they were allowed.”

Tradition is something that I hold very dear, especially when it comes to connecting and spending time with family. I enjoyed reading blog postings of my peers as well, it was nice to get to know something more about them and the role food plays within their relationships. Even though some of their traditions may have been different than mine, I found that we still had things in common when it came to food.

No comments:

Post a Comment